Monday, January 16, 2012

Working On Me

I have begun a never-ending process of working on me.  I've always worked on things...school, teaching, scrapbooking, the girls, etc., but I've never really worked on me.  At least not the physical me.  I've always been so unhappy with the physical me that I think it never bothered me that I was sliding further and further away from what I should be.  I honestly thought I had gotten to the point of no return.  There wasn't anything I could do to get healthier because I was too far gone.

Last spring, I got an email from our school district about a weightloss management pilot program the district was doing.  The second I read it, I knew I had to apply.  I submitted my application at the beginning of June, and after several appointments and lots of waiting, I found out I was accepted in August.  I became a patient at Medi-Weightloss Clinic in Andover, and it has changed my life!!  Dr. Cobb and the nurses there are amazing.  They continuously  cheer me on, encourage me, help me, and keep me motivated to do my best.  To date I have lost 70.5 pounds.  Yay me!  I struggle to be proud and excited about where I've come because I get bogged down by how far I still need to go.  It's definitely a process.  One that won't end for the rest of my life.  I will forever be working on me.

Basically I take several daily supplements (calcium, omega 3, and a fat burner), and I receive vitamin injections at my weekly appointments.  I count protein, carb, and fiber grams in everything I put in my mouth, and I write all this down in a journal.  Right now, I have between 70-80 grams of protein, less than 20 grams of carbs, and more than 20 grams of fiber each day.  I don't have to count calories or fat, but I but I do try to eat healthier options (more chicken than red meat, more veggies, etc.).

Just recently I have begun really exercising.  I lost quite a bit of weight without doing much exercise.  I had a pedometer and kept trying to increase the number of steps I was taking, but I wasn't doing much else.  Now I am doing a couch to 5K program 3 days a week and working out with weights 3 days a week.  I'll talk more about those things in a later blog post.

You can expect me to share any tips and tricks I find along the way.  I'll share my successes with anyone who cares to hear about them, and I'll share my frustrations too.  I will share low carb recipes that I try...especially the good ones.  I hope a few people follow along my journey.  It's more fun to travel with friends!

Throughout all of this, you can be sure I'll continue to work on me.

3 comments:

  1. Erin-great blog! I look fwd to following your progress! I've heard good things about couch to 5k!! Can't wait to hear about your first big run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - I am sooooooo impressed. I am going to jump on the bandwagon and give it a try too!! You have inspired me!!! You look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you give us some of your favorite recipes.

    ReplyDelete